Press ReleaseSunday, July 14, 2019
Residential Structure FireTurlock – Turlock City Fire Department responded to the report of a working structure fire in the 300 block of West Olive Avenue on July 14, 2019 at 1:29 a.m.
Firefighters arrived on scene to find an established fire on a second-story balcony of a residence starting to spread inside the home through an open door. All occupants had made it safely out of the house prior to the fire department’s arrival. Operating in the offensive mode, Turlock Firefighters made entry inside the home and made an aggressive stop on the fire, keeping it from spreading into the adjacent bedroom and attic areas.
Turlock City Fire Department responded with three engines, Squad 32, and a battalion chief for a total of 13 personnel. Turlock Irrigation District and PG&E responded to assist with securing utilities and an AMR unit responded to provide medical care to possible victims and provide firefighter safety. Turlock Police Department assisted with traffic control while Turlock Rural Fire District provided city coverage during the incident.
The cause of the fire was determined to be discarded cigarettes without a proper container. The Turlock Fire Department reminds the public to use the following safety recommendations from N.F.P.A. when discarding cigarettes:
- Use a deep, sturdy ashtray. Place it away from anything that can burn.
- Do not discard cigarettes in vegetation such as mulch, potted plants or landscaping, peat moss, dried grasses, leaves or other things that could ignite easily.
- Before you throw away butts and ashes, make sure they are out, and dousing in water or sand is the best way to do that
- For more information, visit https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/Fire-causes-and-risks/Top-fire-causes/Smoking
Media Contact: Captain Kevin Tidwell, Public Information Officer Ktidwell@turlock.ca.us 209-216-6455
Download PDF version of this press release
Back to Press Releases